Great trip but then… post-holiday blues.
Taking the time to consider what you’re taking while travelling. This is a sure way to enjoy your trip to the max, no worrying, no fretting (evne if you get the post-holiday blues!). Equally important is to reflect on the return back as to what worked and what you need to change next time (let’s face it, there’s always a next time!).
So here’s what I took travelling when I went to America for 25 days. I had to have clothes for both warm and cold weather.
|Straw hat||Purple long sleeve top||Black leggings||Toothpaste and brush||Foundation (half full)|
|Black shoes for day/night||Pink spotted tee||Black skirt||Dental floss||Clippers|
|Blush shoes for day||Grey gold leaf tee||Black-spotted scarf||Comb||Tweezers|
|Runners||White Creative logo tee||Black scarf||Packaway scissors||Nail board|
|Green Rains coat||Grey with brown shoulders tee||One set PJs||15 earbuds||Eyebrow pencil|
|Red Uniqlo down jacket||Navy blue tee||One set workout gear||Concealer||Deoderant|
|Navy Uniqlo light jacket||Black and white striped cami||Four socks||Menstrual cup||Olive oil|
|Navy cardigan||Nude cami||One beige bra||Makeup remover lotion||Cetaphil face lotion|
|Black long sleeve night top||Black jeans||Seven undies||Sunscreen (half full)||Hair wax|
|White button-down||Light green pants||Face wipes||Primer||Mascara|
I used everything on that list, marking it off as I went. Surprisingly, the Packaway scissors (which were a last-minute throw-in) came in super handy! I was very glad multiple times over that I’d packed them.
- Grey gold leaf tee (it retained smells at the armpits that even washing didn’t help with. Rather than bring it home, I decided to lessen my load and ditch it there)
- Green pants (I didn’t feel confident in these, so listened to the message and got rid of them. Great colour though, so will remember that for future purchases)
- Hat (a cheapie from Kmart that really didn’t hold its shape by the end)
What I wished I’d packed:
- Long socks (I ended up buying some over there, they make a cute souvenir now)
- A few more layers, a jumper (there were a couple of days where I ended up wearing practically everything in my suitcase. Which made bending at the elbow difficult!)
- Makeup remover pads
- Coconut oil
- A small almond milk (hard to get anything but cow’s milk in country USA)
Dealing with post-holiday blues
Coming back from the trip I had very bad post-holiday blues, here are some things that helped me bounce back:
- Unpack immediately and put your bags away and get the washing machine going. This habit is the foundation for organising.
- I made pancakes at home to recreate some of my favourite holiday tastes. You can also look up and master a favourite dish.
- Declutter! You’ve been apart from your things for a while and you also managed to get by with very little. Ttake a look through your wardrobe and around the home. Donate things that are no longer working for you. And, as I did, think about the clothing you took with you overseas. Do you want to keep it in your rotation?
If you have an upcoming trip and need help to tackle packing – give me a call! I’d love to live vicariously through you 🙂