Don’t you hate that feeling when you go to a movie, completely pumped and it really wasn’t worth your time or the ticket price? Well there are a number of ways that planning ahead will make a trip to the movies cheaper and those disappointing choices less palpable.
- Eating your way to discount tickets – cinemas will often make deals with restaurants nearby which can make for a cheaper outing. One of my favourite deals is the Movie Stack deal at the Pancake Parlour, a short pancake stack and an adult movie ticket for $19 makes for a great Sunday!
- Memberships – most cinemas have a movie club that you can pay to join that will get you discounted movie tickets all year round and they also usually have discounts on food, birthday bonuses and such initiatives as see four films and get the fifth free.
- Entertainment booklets – some of the best deals for groups can be found in these.
- Unions, Insurance or Gym Membership bonuses –
- For example:
- NRMA members can get up to 35% off full priced Event Cinemas movie vouchers.
- CPSU members can buy a range of discounted movie tickets for a variety of venues (including outdoor and drive-in cinemas.
- For example:
But by far the one making the biggest impression on me of late is Qantas Movies which is accessible through their Loyalty Program. I’ve only recently come across it and it’s phenomenal! By buying a minimum of four vouchers (capped at a maximum of 10 at a time) you collect Qantas Frequent Flyer points and enjoy heavily discounted tickets. They are valid for five months (unless otherwise specified) and, although it’s annoying that some of the cinemas will only accept the vouchers if printed out, you can exchange these quite smoothly at the cinemas for most standard screenings.
So the other day when I saw the new James Bond film, Spectre, rather than paying $19 I handed over a voucher that had only cost me $10. The added bonus was that I could day dream about what beautiful clothes I’d get once my Qantas points grow into a lovely David Jones voucher. Now, isn’t that a great way to pass some over the top macho action time?